2.19.2014

Scrap Organization


Today I thought I'd share how I organize my scraps. 


I've just recently started this process and I love it! Basically, rather than keeping wrinkly odd shaped pieces of scrap fabric stuffed into tubs or jars, I take a little extra time after each project I complete to iron and cut them down to manageable sizes. I can't remember where I saw this idea. I think in one of my mom's quilting magazines a while back? 


You can cut your scraps down to whatever size you use most frequently. As you can see in the picture above, I decided to cut my scraps into 2", 3", 4", and 5" squares. I also decided to cut my longer scraps down to 2.5" strips. This is the size I use for binding my quilts and is also the width of jelly rolls.


I am much more anxious to start a scrappy project when I look at my scraps now! They are just begging to be put to use. Though, I think I'm going to wait a little longer so I have more to work from. I'm not sure I have enough yet to complete a whole quilt. I'd love to make one like Jodi did from Pleasant Home. She calls it her Scrap Jar Quilt. I think I would just need to use my 2" squares and 4" squares to create those half square triangles. I'd also need a ton of white! So pretty.


All in all, I would highly recommend storing your scraps this way! I am determined not to have bins and bins of fabric and this will definitely help me follow through!


I'd also like to point out these beautiful flowers. My husband gave them to me for Valentine's Day a few days ago. He's the sweetest!

2 comments:

  1. just fyi, the link isn't good for the Scrap Jar quilt but I did find it at Pleasant HOme. Trouble is- we have dogs so that white background isn't good here. Hmmmm....wonder what I could swap the white out for? That will require some thinking to figure out what would still let the scraps sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alicia Key Thanks for letting me know those links were broken. They should be corrected now. Glad you were able to find the Scrap Jar quilt on her site. It's so pretty! You're right, dogs would make all of that white tough to keep clean. Haha. Let us know what you decide to use if you make one!

      Delete