3.03.2014

Starburst Quilt Complete


I finished this Starburst baby quilt a while back. This was when I first learned how fun half square triangles can be! I could make so many fun designs with them. 


I used solids and couple Kaffe Fassett fat quarters I've had for a while. The center star is made up of Millefiore Red fabric and the other pattern is from the same bundle. I don't remember the name. The orange is Kona Cotton Flame. So bright and fun!


I actually used some muslin I had on hand for the white. I was a little worried it wouldn't wash well with the other fabric since it wasn't great quality, but it worked out great! It actually came out of the dryer looking extra crinkly, which I love.


I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I don't wash and dry my fabric before I start sewing. I have no huge argument for that decision. I actually am impressed by those who take the time and care to wash, dry, and iron their fabric before they start. I think I just don't have the patience! Ha. So as you could imagine, looking at these bright colors, I was a tad worried when I washed it. I just imagined bright orange and red bleeding onto the crisp white. 


It turned out great though! No problems at all.


For the backing, I used Dottie Cream Shroom fabric by Jay-Cyn Designs for Birch Fabrics. I love this fabric! I need to buy more of it.


I wanted to show a close up of a mistake I made while quilting. As you can see in the middle of the picture above, I quilted a wrinkled part of the fabric. It's not that noticeable but I wish I had pinned a little more thoroughly. Lesson learned!


For the binding I used a pretty fuchsia colored solid that matched some of the pinks in the patterned fabric.


I quilted this in a meandering free-motion quilting pattern. 


It was so fun making a pattern up for this quilt using little half square triangles. Oh the possibilities! I'm not sure who will end up with this quilt, but I have a feeling it won't sit around long. My sweet friends are having babies right and left! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment